Traditionally, people embark on the new year by setting resolutions. Another similar practice growing in popularity is choosing one word as a guiding principle for the year.
The Orbis team recently embarked on this activity together, which inspired me to write about how to keep the word top-of-mind throughout the year.
- Post it. A note on your mirror, computer monitor, or on social media. Write it in your journal or planner. Make a poster.
- Quote. Find a quote where the word is used, or make your own. Memorize scripture with your word in it.
- Wear it. Make a t-shirt. Wear it on your heart.
- Elaborate. Make an acrostic with your word. (That made me think of cross-stitch). Express your word in writing or through your craft or hobby.
- Live it. Use your word to prompt goals or to guide your decisions throughout the year.
My word for 2022 is accountability.
To follow step two, I am elaborating on why I chose the word accountability through this article.
Looking inside the word, I see account and ability. Account can mean financial records – which are ever more important as my business grows. It can also mean a story. I want to commit more time to writing in the Orbis Journal this year, and someday I want to write a novel.
Focusing on the second part of the word, I want to better use my abilities to serve others, serve God, and commit to better health.
We created a banner with the words selected by each team member written on a pennant. Hanging the banner in our conference room brings meaning and intention to each meeting.
Author and motivational coach Bob Proctor says, “Accountability is the glue that ties commitment to the result.”
Steven Covey says accountability breeds responsibility.
The apostle Paul referred to life as a race. When runners near the finish line, with energy nearly spent, the cheers of fans or even encouragement from other competitors provide the motivation to finish strong.
“Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing,” (1 Thessalonians 5:11 ESV).
As I work with the team at Orbis to serve our clients and communities, I will look for opportunities to offer supportive words or actions to help achieve exceptional results.
This is how I’m going to live accountable in 2022.