If you were heading out on a road trip with friends from work, who would you rely on to ride shot-gun and navigate?
Who would obviously be the driver? Would anyone make you late? Who would pack the snacks? Would someone be in charge of the playlist?
Which one are you?
If you consider team-building a journey, the Enneagram could serve as the atlas for your road trip.
The Enneagram is a scientific system that describes nine personality types. It can help you understand what drives you and navigate the inner workings of an organization.
For example, the Enneagram Type 8 would likely be in the driver seat on the road trip. The Enneagram Type 9 would not care where the group stopped for dinner.
Recently, we led a quickly growing nonprofit through a 5-step process to explore the world through the Enneagram’s nine different points of view.
5 steps to explore the Enneagram
- Engage. Participants completed a short survey to gauge their goals for team-building.
- Explore. Participants took the Enneagram Assessment to learn their types.
- Explain. Orbis consultants described how the Enneagram’s nine distinct personality styles shape our perspective and motivation.
- Elaborate. Through personal reflection and group discussion, participants considered how their own types and the characteristics shape actions, thinking and relationships. This is useful to understand our similarities and differences.
- Evaluate. Participants shared how the workshop helped them better understand their roles in the organization and how to support one another.
“I knew what was in my job description, and now I see my place on the team.”
Leadership begins with self-awareness and understanding. The Enneagram is a useful tool to help us understand how to use our strengths and gifts to find meaning in our work. It also helps to gain perspective on what it is like to work with us. As a bonus, the more we know about ourselves, it helps cultivate empathy in professional and personal relationships.
Thinking about taking your team on the Enneagram journey?
Some benefits could include enhanced communications, reduced conflict, and increased productivity.
Let Orbis be your guide. We’ll bring the atlas and the playlist.
Download our reading list to learn more about the Enneagram.